Some experiments that worked!

Gardening is often about experimenting.  You try stuff you read about and maybe it works or maybe it is a colossal flop.  I tried a couple things this year that worked.  One is orchids.  I have been given some lovely ones  and I have tried all kids of things to get them to spike again.  Last summer, I put them out on the side porch (western exposure) and pretty much ignored them.  In October, I brought them inside, put them in an east facing window and voila!  They are throwing out flower spikes and one has bloomed.

P1050290

The second experiment has to do with amaryllis.   I have a lot from two years ago that just didn’t bloom again.  I left them in their pots and put them outside under a tree and kind of ignored them too.  They got watered when I watered the other pots.  In August, I put them all in one big pot so it was easier to manage them.   Then I brought the whole thing into the garage in October and ignored them until December.  I started watering again and they are going crazy.  Here’s some buds and one popped this morning.  I love it when stuff works out.

P1050322

P1050321

P1050323
P1050340

And then there’s the Clerodendrum I got from my Mom.  I finally cut it back after 3 years of letting the vine keep growing.  It bloomed.

P1050320
P1050319

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s